[plt-scheme] Low-hanging coding tasks?

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Sat Mar 8 22:29:12 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 08:40:02PM -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2008, at 6:45 PM, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 05:18:10PM -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> >>
> >>We need a serious functional data structure library, ideally with a
> >>performance test suite not just a test suite. Carl Eastlund has been
> >>looking for contributors.
> >>
> >>We also need people who are willing to port existing libraries from
> >>the untyped world to the typed world. That is, libraries in the srfi
> >>and planet world need to be equipped with types. If you are
> >>interested, contact Sam Tobin-H.
> >
> >The typed world?  Has Schene acquired static typing?  Or (more
> >likely)_
>
> Nope.
>
> >should I ask just what this is?
>
> There is a sibling language called Typed Scheme. It is an _explicitly_
> statically typed language and it is sound (so we believe).

I knew about typed scheme.  The post I was questioning suggeste that
the next release of PLT Scheme was gouing to be statically typed, which
I doubted.

> The two languages interoperate and we conducting an experiment:
> does it help to move stable pieces of Scheme code into TS? How
> difficult is it? Does the  type system accommodate 'real' Scheme
> idioms? How much do you have to change the code (besides the
> function and structure defs)?

Ah.  Now this makes sense.

> And yes, we do want to grow TS into a full-fledged language
> that is equal to Scheme.

And so does this.  By the way, in my opininn, Scheme should be built on
top of a typed scheme, and not the other way around.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.