[plt-scheme] Low-hanging coding tasks?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 8 20:40:02 EST 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 6:45 PM, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 05:18:10PM -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>>
>> We need a serious functional data structure library, ideally with a
>> performance test suite not just a test suite. Carl Eastlund has been
>> looking for contributors.
>>
>> We also need people who are willing to port existing libraries from
>> the untyped world to the typed world. That is, libraries in the srfi
>> and planet world need to be equipped with types. If you are
>> interested, contact Sam Tobin-H.
>
> The typed world?  Has Schene acquired static typing?  Or (more
> likely)_

Nope.

> should I ask just what this is?

There is a sibling language called Typed Scheme. It is an _explicitly_
statically typed language and it is sound (so we believe).

The two languages interoperate and we conducting an experiment:
does it help to move stable pieces of Scheme code into TS? How
difficult is it? Does the  type system accommodate 'real' Scheme
idioms? How much do you have to change the code (besides the
function and structure defs)?

And yes, we do want to grow TS into a full-fledged language
that is equal to Scheme.

-- Matthias

P.S. If you're into papers, look for "Typed Scheme" and chase
down the POPL 2008 links.

Posted on the users mailing list.