[plt-scheme] (v4) wildcard not allowed in expression

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 22:53:14 EDT 2008

I am not aware to have contributed anything to http://docs.plt-scheme.org/reference/stx-patterns.html#(form._((lib._scheme/private/stxcase-scheme..ss)._......))  :)
Wildcards in a pattern are useful though, I think. It is as though saying "i dont care what it is and dont want to know what it is". But if you realy don't care, there is no issue by binding the wild-card. It is possible to do without the wild-card. There are two things that make the wild-card different:
1 : it may appear more than once in a pattern. Other symbols in a pattern do not have this privilege.
2 : The wild-card is completely ignored.
Wild cards are a method in pattern matching (thats what syntax-rules and syntax-case are about)
I must admit that I use the _ only as in (syntax-case stx () ((_ whatever ...) template))
I admit that in most cases a macro writer is interested in what the user did write in the macro call.
I cannot answer the "why". But the "how" is clear to you now, I am sure.
I have done many courses on how to use a computer (dating from decades from now) Students often asked me "why do I have this to do in this way?" Answer: because that is the way that makes it work. On the PLT list or bug-report form you have the opportunity to express how you want to work things (which a few decades ago was unthinkable) My experience is that the PLT team is susceptible for new ideas. But in the present case I think that the wild-card is a commonly accepted and wanted feature that is not going to be altered.

May be you are experiencing, just as I do, that improvements on the language require efforts of the user on adapting his/her code. That's annoying of course, but without a posotive attitude of the users, software providers cannot implement improvements.

MHO, Jos