[plt-scheme] Fonts with proper angle brackets

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Jun 13 21:59:21 EDT 2008

On Jun 13, Pekka Karjalainen wrote:
> I had a little trouble getting the ⟩ and ⟨ entities to
> display in the PLT documentation. It turns out none of the default
> fonts in my Windows XP installation has them, so I had to find a
> font that does. [...]

Thanks for the link -- it has a good summary of the issue (we did have
plain `<' and  `>' at some point, but they looked very wrong).

I've searched the Unicode names list
(http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt) for anything that
sounds vaguely relevant, and tested it in four browsers on Windows
(IE, FF, Opera, Safari) and two on Linux (Galeon, FF).  See the
results are at

  http://tmp.barzilay.org/xx.html

It looks like 3008,3009 are good choices, but the problem is that they
render with a wide space on the left/right, and when I tried them in
the PLT docs they were big enough to look like a mistake.  I then
tried 2039,203A (angle quotation mark), and I think that they look
better, even though strictly speaking they're incorrect.

I've temporarily changed the regexp reference page

  http://docs.plt-scheme.org/reference/regexp.html

to use them, so you can see how it looks like with this choice.

Any comments?  (Specifically, does anyone see a problem with using
these two?)