Problem with recursion? (was [plt-scheme] Re: Novice needs help writing function )

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 4 12:52:33 EST 2008

I think the key is to teach structural recursion before generative
recursion, as HtDP does. Interestingly, Bruce, Danyluk, and Murtagh
(2005) [1] make the point that teaching structural recursion before
arrays is helpful in an objects-early approach and cite HtDP. Other
papers [2] cite Bruce, but don't mention HtDP, when I think it's clear
that the PLT group can easily lay claim to being in the forefront of
this pedagogical insight.

Todd

[1]: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.williams.edu%2F~andrea%2FPublications%2Fp266-bruce.pdf&ei=LHB-R__iA6KShALtpLw1&usg=AFQjCNE6z4oJu6aW2zTTICjWetE1Y0jaDw&sig2=qKl8qsKqKvtLKNNp1Ze9fg
[2]: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:VEuO5_d2C-MJ:dehn.slu.edu/research/papers/recursion.pdf+Kim+Bruce+structural+recursion&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a
(this paper is only available in a cached version, but appears to have
been published in OOPSLA 2007)

Posted on the users mailing list.