[plt-scheme] slideshow, math formulas

From: jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr (jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Fri Feb 29 18:43:56 EST 2008

Matthew Flatt writes:

> Geoff Knauth wrote:
>> I'm putting together a presentation, and I want to use slideshow.
>> ... But it will also have math formulas.  Is this an already
>> solved problem, or should I just make images out of TeX formulas and
>> glue them in?
>
> This package can help you generate images out of TeX formulas:
>
>  http://planet.plt-scheme.org/display.ss?package=mrtex2im.plt&owner=pjmatos
>

> Something more direct would be great. (Jerzy: did this work as a
> student project?)

For those who couldn't follow my private conversation with Matthew:
The idea was to make a graphical interpreter of either TeX-like source
[or a simplified source, like in ASCIIMathML], or, the full MathML
syntax (leaving to another layer the creation of MathML, which is not
adapted to a normal human endeavour. A simple parser is preferable).

Sorry to say, for the moment the project is latent, I had no time to do
it myself, students preferred easier tasks.
Any takers?

The idea is conceptually quite simple, it is a language of boxes with
boxes inside boxes..., each positioned appropriately, with a height, width
and depth. If the underlying software can output characters of any font,
positioned arbitrarily, nothing more is needed, this would need just a few
weeks to terminate. The project has some formal side quite interesting:
when a composite formula is assembled, with elements inside boxes inside
larger boxes, such attributes as the dimensions of boxes are obviously
synthesized. But the positional attributes are inherited, so it might
interest somebody who wants to make a small, but not so traditional
"compiler", and play with the attribute passing within a functional
language...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.