[plt-scheme] local planet mirror/repository?

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 5 16:12:00 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu>wrote:

> I can look into that at some poitn, but it would be nice to hear more
> about the actual problem you're experiencing. Are you finding that
> just downloading everything from Chicago is slow? (including, say, the
> PLT Scheme mirror for downloading the basic installation)?

No - that's not the issue (although my wan connection is certainly not fast)
right now.

The issue I am experiencing is that I have a few different versions of PLT
Scheme on my computers, and downloading planet packages depend on the
language version.  So the caching proxy currently has to download the same
package multiple times even if the package happens to be the same for the
different versions.

Without a cryptohash ETag it would require the full download and sha1 to
determine whether the file has changed. With ETag & 304 it can be bypassed.
Thus, when new PLT versions comes out, my cache doesn't have to download the
packages that did not change for the new version.

I am simply trying to be a nice net citizen by not hogging more bandwidth
than necessary ;)

Lastly, in the future if there are others besides me doing local caching,
they can also save bandwidth for you ;)

Thanks,
yc