[plt-scheme] proposal for indicating planet package version numbers

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Aug 30 22:16:59 EDT 2008

Sorry, I misread, trying to read sideways. :)

The concern I have with marginalizing the real version number comes from
the fact that I try to develop portable Scheme libraries that are used
on many different Scheme implementations.  I do this for practical
reasons, so that people can invest in Scheme and move between
implementations for different requirements.  (Say, PLT by default,
something else if one needs to run in a JVM, use massive numbers of
threads, run on a microcontroller, start using a new research Scheme
implementation, run in a different Scheme that is already embedded in an
application, or...)

I believe that the other implementation-specific packagings of my
libraries all use the canonical version number.  So when I say "Foo
1.3", everyone is talking about the same thing.  PLT is my favorite
all-around Scheme, but I would be sad if I had to say "Foo 1.3 (which is
2.1 to PLT users)" and "oh, all this time you meant *PLT* 2.1, which
means you're actually using... hm... Foo 1.3, and you really need Foo
2.1, which is... hm... PLT 3.0..."

I'm not saying that my needs alone should affect PLaneT design
decisions, but I think that some of my needs might be shared by other
PLT users, now or in the near future.

Just to step back a moment, I'm not sure that this needs to be a big
issue.  Using "." in the PLT package version number on the Web page made
no sense to me from the start, and this use of "." is the only problem.