[plt-scheme] proposal for indicating planet package version numbers

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Aug 30 21:27:00 EDT 2008

To reduce confusion between PLaneT "package versions" and the version
numbers of software packages that happen to be packaged as PLaneT
packages... I'd like to strongly suggest that instead of having the
PLaneT Web pages say this:

    Package
    version   Version
    1.1       0.3

that they instead say this:

    Package
    version   Version
    (1 1)     0.3

Basically, I want to never, ever see "." in a PLaneT package version
number.  "." is already used in the version numbers of most software
packages ever written, which means it terrific for distinguishing the
two kinds of version numbers.  TThe sexp format proposed above is also a
good mnemonic for the "Scheme" flavor of version number, as opposed to
the "normal" flavor.  The sexp format also fits the different ways that
PLaneT package version numbers are used, better than a string with dots
in it would, and "require" forms don't use dots anyway.

If someone could make this change, I also suggest clearer terminological
conventions, such as saying either "PLaneT Version" and "Software
Version", and never simply saying "version".  Or invent a new word for
"PLaneT version" -- something like "verid", which can be selected in
"require" forms and such by a "verspec" form, only perhaps not so
dorky-sounding.

I think I suggested this before, but I don't recall seeing a rationale
for doing it the current way.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/