[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme v4.1

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Aug 13 00:22:32 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, Marek Kubica wrote:

> [...]
> Rewriting configuration file
> at: /home/marek/plt/lib/plt/collects/config/config.ss... *** Error:
> undoing changes... standard-module-name-resolver: collection not found:
> "scheme" in any of: (#<path:/home/marek/.plt-scheme/4.1/collects>
> #<path:/home/marek/plt/plt-tmp-install/collects>) Error: installation
> failed (Removing installation files in /home/marek/plt/plt-tmp-install)

I traced this problem to the part where the "unixstyle" installer
wants to recompile a new config file -- it uses `make-base-namespace'
to create a new namespace, but at this point the collection tree has
already moved.  The solution is simple -- create the namespace at the
top level, before doing any directory moving.  I committed that now
(and if any 3rd-party packages run into this problem -- the relevant
revision is 11213).

But to make things work now without updating sources, I hacked the
installers so they bypass the problem (they copy the `scheme'
collection to a /tmp directory, then run mzscheme and make it look
there for the `scheme' collection, so when the real one moved it
continues to work off of the copy).  It's not a good solution, of
course, but it's fine to make things work for now.

[Note that I updated the Northeaster files, so it might take a while
to propagate.]