[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Woodhouse Gregory (gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 13:59:54 EDT 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> 2. Last week, I had a private exchange with a person close to core
> PLT. The email basically said that during a consulting presentation
> with a major industrial software producer, one of the attendees got
> up and said "it is way to expensive to use object in (this) area of
> business. We use records and functions." I wouldn't be surprised if
> this is true and becomes more true so as companies that create
> networked software discover the cost of moving back and forth
> (serialize and unserialize).

That reminds me of a similar argument over whether or not XML is
overly verbose. Many organizations are moving toward web services
rather than Java RMI, and application servers offer built-in features
for exposing EJBs through web services. So it's the same thing: cost
of seralization/deserialization. Taking it a step further: middleware
products often employ proprietary protocols internally (that is to
say between network nodes running the same middleware producy)

"In the human mind, one-sidedness has
always been the rule and many-sidedness the
  exception. Hence, even in revolutions of
thought, one part of the truth usually sets while
  another rises."
--John Stuart Mill

http://www.gwoodhouse.com
http://GregWoodhouse.ImageKind.com