[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 01:57:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:31:17 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>While I was at college, we never covered object-oriented languages. We
>covered Scheme for Introduction to Computer Science as well as Data
>Structures & Programming Techniques, Haskell for functional
>programming, and C for Introduction to Systems Programming, but never
>any object-oriented language.

I forgot to mention that this was back in 1990-1994, before Java came
along.  Nevertheless, even now, it is ML, not Java, that has replaced
Scheme in Introduction to Computer Science, so the trend seems to be
more toward functional programming in a first course, rather than
object-oriented programming.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

Posted on the users mailing list.