[plt-scheme] V4 request for thoughts on various question

From: Alan Watson (alan at alan-watson.org)
Date: Mon Aug 4 11:16:48 EDT 2008

>> The fact that let allow paralell bindings, do some folks take that
>> fact and perform optimizations on multiple cpu boxes? Is it worth
>> it?
>
> The values are parallel, but the computation is not.  It's easy to
> confuse the two, but it's a mistake.

MPSCM[1] has a parallel let form.

Eli, can you point me to language in the R5RS or R6RS that forbids
interleaving the evaluation of the initializers in a standard let
form? The R6RS just says, "The <init>s are evaluated in the current
environment (in some unspecified order)". I think that allows the
evaluation of the initializers to be interleaved or parallelized.

Regards,

Alan

[1] http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary;jsessionid=9358F23E06B535DDD5BA2AAC80190D3E?doi=10.1.1.102.2907
--