[plt-scheme] puzzling code compilation version warning for "mzscheme -M errortrace" in Emacs

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 28 06:36:25 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
> Wow!  I changed the reference from "C:\Program Files\PLT" to
> "C:\bin\PLT" for the directory containing MzScheme.exe in my PATH
> for my user and system environmental variables, and this removed the
> version warning!
>
> --
> Welcome to MzScheme v371 [3m], Copyright (c) 2004-2007 PLT Scheme Inc.
> >
> --
>
> The only issue now is that errortrace seems to work correctly for
> MzScheme v371, but not for v372 ("C:\Program Files\PLT" contained
> v372).

You need to use each MzScheme.exe executable with its own PLT tree.

> What is really necessary is to find a way to invoke the
> errortrace.zo in "C:\Program
> Files\PLT\collects\errortrace\compiled", not
> "c:\bin\plt\collects\errortrace\compiled\errortrace.zo", when
> re-specifying "C:\Program Files\PLT" as the path for MzScheme.  I
> checked my PATH variables, but neither of these directories was
> initially listed in either my user or system PATH variables.  If
> neither directory is listed, then 'run-scheme won't start in Emacs
> without specification of a full path.

I think that a full path specification in Emacs is the only sane
option on Windows.  If you don't do that, then it's probably better to
add "c:\program files\plt" into your path -- either before "c:\bin",
or just get rid of the 371 installation (and the respective
executable) there.

> Another solution might be to uninstall both v371 (using
> Uninstall.exe) and v372 (using the Windows uninstaller in the
> Control Panel) (since v371 was not installed on this computer,
> IIRC), and reinstall v372: That would be a more standard solution.

If you run into installation problems, it should be safe to just
remove all PLT directories and executables, and then reinstall it.
The new installation will overwrite the registry entries and start
menu.