[plt-scheme] puzzling code compilation version warning for "mzscheme -M errortrace" in Emacs

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 06:28:09 EDT 2008

Wow!  I changed the reference from "C:\Program Files\PLT" to "C:\bin\PLT" for the directory containing MzScheme.exe in my PATH for my user and system environmental variables, and this removed the version warning!

--
Welcome to MzScheme v371 [3m], Copyright (c) 2004-2007 PLT Scheme Inc.

--

The only issue now is that errortrace seems to work correctly for MzScheme v371, but not for v372 ("C:\Program Files\PLT" contained v372).

What is really necessary is to find a way to invoke the errortrace.zo in "C:\Program Files\PLT\collects\errortrace\compiled", not "c:\bin\plt\collects\errortrace\compiled\errortrace.zo", when re-specifying "C:\Program Files\PLT" as the path for MzScheme.  I checked my PATH variables, but neither of these directories was initially listed in either my user or system PATH variables.  If neither directory is listed, then 'run-scheme won't start in Emacs without specification of a full path.

I suppose a quick and dirty solution would be simply to exchange the contents of the "C:\Program Files\PLT" and "c:\bin\plt" directories, but that might upset some registry entries, and I would rather not go on a wild goose search with regedit to adjust the Windows registry.  Actually, I find it strange that v371 is installed; I don't remember having installed it on this computer.

Another solution might be to uninstall both v371 (using Uninstall.exe) and v372 (using the Windows uninstaller in the Control Panel) (since v371 was not installed on this computer, IIRC), and reinstall v372:  That would be a more standard solution.

What would you recommend?

Benjamin L. Russell