[plt-scheme] running an MzScheme debugger in Emacs?

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 10:40:09 EDT 2008

--- On Sat, 4/26/08, Prabhakar Ragde <plragde at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
>
> > Sure, it is possible to work through SICP in Notepad.
> [...] But why!?
>
> For the same reason that one writes haiku, or works out the
>
> representation of natural numbers and implementation of
> arithmetic
> operations in the lambda calculus. It's worth
> questioning the
> incremental advantage of added functionality, especially
> when you are
> asking other people to provide it. Arguably, they expect
> students to use
> a debugger on SICP exercises because SICP doesn't pay
> enough attention
> to systematic construction of programs.

Ok; that makes more sense now.  I.e., you probably don't use a debugger in programming for the same reason that I don't use a grammar or spelling checker in patent translation.  Debuggers help point out errors in programming; grammar and spelling checkers help point out errors in natural writing.  One gifted in programming would probably refrain from using a debugger for the same reason that one gifted in writing refrains from using a grammar or spelling checker.

That said, people are born with different gifts, and people usually use whatever tools that they feel suit themselves.  Different tools suit people with different gifts.

Benjamin L. Russell

Posted on the users mailing list.