[plt-scheme] submitting new versions of interdependent PLaneT packages

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 2 14:27:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:

>  How do I do that PLaneT submission(s)?
>
>  Submit them one at a time, so that I can get the officially assigned PLaneT
> version number of, e.g., A, so that I can put it in the a "require" spec in
> B?

This works.

>  Or do I 'predict' the PLaneT version numbers that will be given to A and B,
> so that I can submit A, B, and C at effectively the same time (even though I
> can't do a test of them before submission because I'm referring to versions
> that don't yet exist in PLaneT)?

This also works.

The PLaneT versioning system is simple and deterministic.  If you the
change is backwards compatible the minor version is incremented by
one.  If you say it isn't the major version is incremented and minor
version is reset to zero.

You can create "development links" using the planet command line tool,
which basically means PLaneT associates a directory on your filesystem
with a particular package, major, and minor version.  You can test
your libraries in development using this.

HTH,
Noel

Posted on the users mailing list.