[plt-scheme] Re: Formatting Code

From: Scott Owens (Scott.Owens at cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 19 08:48:58 EDT 2007

I'm not sure, but I suspect that multi-line indenting is accomplished
with repeated calls to the single line indenter.

The single line indenter relies on the same information that the
syntax coloring uses to know the lexical structure and parenthesis
structure of the buffer.  The current implementation for finding a
matching parenthesis is worst-case linear in the number of
parentheses in the buffer.  My guess is that repeated calls to the
single-line indenter cause it to repeatedly call for the same paren
match and that a cache of paren matches might speed things up without
having to implement and maintain a separate indenter for multiple
lines (worst case would still be quadratic).  I've been meaning
experiment with this for a few months now, when I get time.
Currently, ETA in late October.

-Scott