[plt-scheme] Why do folks implement *dynamically* typed languages?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu May 31 11:44:46 EDT 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> I think that at some point the fellow who created Ruby said to himself
> that "I'm going to create a programming language where you can't
> detect type errors at compile for these reasons...".
>
> What I want to know is if there are common reasons, or no reasons, or
> do people write papers about making this decision?

It is quite difficult to publish language design papers (with reasons
like the above) in academic circles. So if you mean an academic
research paper, the answer is likely to be 'no'.

PLT has succeeded in being both a scripting language and a vehicle
for academic research. To accomplish the latter, we turn our designs
into models and explore properties of models so that other language
community can adapt our ideas. This is NOT the kind of paper that
just says "I didn't think errors should be discovered at compile time".

People may write essays/non-academic papers on this stuff and publish
them in magazines like Byte or third-tier CS journals like Computer
Languages. These days they may publish them on the web only and call
them a blog.

Time and again, you will see flamewars on newsgroups and mailing
lists. If you're careful, you can extract good knowledge from such
exchanges though 3/4 of the stuff is useless.

If you discover something of interest, please post. I think people
here will want to know.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.