[plt-scheme] scribblings on PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu May 24 12:48:57 EDT 2007

In general, the more quickly PLT Scheme versions break backwards
compatibility the less useful old code is, on PLaneT and elsewhere.
But in the particular case of making pairs immutable by default, it
doesn't look like this will be a major source of incompatibility for
PLaneT packages: only 30 modules (not packages, module files) in all
most-current-versions of PLaneT packages (1359 total) contain any uses
of set-car! or set-cdr!.

This is one reason why default-mutable pairs are so frustrating: very
little code actually takes advantage of the ability to mutate pairs,
and code that does could almost always be rewritten easily; but the
fact that pairs _could_ be mutated breaks the soundness of a whole lot
of reasoning.

-jacob