[plt-scheme] DrScheme split up windows

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue May 15 11:52:33 EDT 2007

On 5/15/07, David Gurvich <david.gurvich at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Monday 14 May 2007 06:43:18 Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I think the answer is _no_ but I wonder if it is possible to have
> > interactions and definitions in two separate windows, or to split
> > drscheme window vertically instead of horizontally.
> >
> > If not, I guess it is possible to extend DrScheme to allow this,
> > right? Any guess about the effort needed to do that?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Hello,
>
> I believe you can start a separate canvas and connect a repl to it. Then close
> the interactions portion of the main drscheme window.  That should have the
> effect of separate definitions and interactions windows.

I think you must be thinking of Emacs. There isn't really any "connect
a repl to it" operation anywhere in DrScheme.

> You might also rewrite the code to have the split be vertical instead of
> horizontal (Probably not worth the effort).  You would need to read the code
> to figure out how (the documentation is not good) or someone here might
> already know.
Rewriting the code is trivial (you change on "horizontal-" into a
"vertical-" in an identifier somewhere), but doing it without
rewriting the code (via a tool (aka plugin)) would be complex.

The documentation does need work. Right now everything we produce is
documented (we have quite a lot of documentation), but it is mostly in
reference manual form, which makes it complex for people who are not
familiar with the system to find their way around. We're working on
improving that, of course. But, this topic has been beaten to death
around here, for the time being. Maybe you want to read the plt scheme
blog, consult the cookbook or, even better, contribute some
documentation yourself?

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.