[plt-scheme] Are new Schemers supposed to be reading SRFIs?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Thu May 10 16:08:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Grant Rettke wrote:

> Today I read some code that used the 'any' function from SRFI-1. Taking
> a look at SRFI-1, I found that there are some nifty functions in there.
>
> Is it my responsibility to read the SRFIs just to know what is possible?

Something like the Scheme Cookbook could be valuable to help consolidate
and distill knowledge about useful libraries.  For example:

     http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/TrimmingSpace

shows the usefulness of another SRFI library module (SRFI-13 "String
Library").

I'm bothered that the majority of SRFI's are indexed by some cryptic
integer rather than by a human-readable keyword.  Whenever I've shown PLT
Scheme coding in anger to an audience, a common complaint I've gotten is
that knowing which SRFI does what is more memorization than they'd be
willing to put in.

PLT Scheme does provide slightly more mnemonic informative module aliases
for the commonly used SRFI's.  We can take SRFI-1 (the list library) for
example; it can go by the following names:

     (lib "1.ss" "srfi")
     (lib "list.ss" "srfi" "1")

But I'd love to see things taken further and just have:

     (lib "list.ss" "srfi")

work as well.  I don't think there will be so many similar SRFI's such
that module name collisions are likely to occur between any two SRFI's,
are there?

Posted on the users mailing list.