[plt-scheme] File synchronization and saving plugin interest?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu May 10 11:39:58 EDT 2007

On May 10, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been going back and forth between DrScheme and my command line
> Subversion client.
>
> Each time I commit it updates the svn keywords in the file. I would
> like those changes to be reflected when I go back to DrScheme.
> Additionally, working between DrScheme and Vim sometimes I would
> like the same behavior of reverting.
>
> In the interest of keeping a consistent view on things, I would also
> like to save my files on frame deactivation.
>
> Robby explained that this could be implemented by writing a
> plugin. I envision the plugin as containing:
>
> "Synchronize files on frame activation?" and "Save files on frame
> deactivation?"

Two quick notes:

* Auto-saving when losing focus sounds dangerous.  In some platforms,
  it is enough to move the mouse for the focus to change.

* The synchronization on activation is useful, but note that if you
  try to "Run" the file after it changed, DrScheme will tell you about
  it, and the default button is for reverting the file (if you didn't
  have unsaved edits).  This means that one keypress reads back the
  file.  (But IIUC, you want the editing process to be done inside and
  outside of DrScheme.)