[plt-scheme] Project Euler

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 3 17:53:47 EDT 2007

On 5/3/07, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> I like the problems -- from a math perspective. But as we have slowly
> figured out over 10 years, we have to be extremely careful making CS
> look like math. Everyone (ought to) knows that programming is a form
> of mathematics and good programming requires skills like those
> required for solving math problems. But somehow we need to hide this
> fact just long enough until the kids are sufficiently committed and
> will become industrial programmers :-).
>
> Of course some of us are there because we see the beauty in math and
> see how the math in programs executes. Apparently the majority of
> people is mathematically blind.
>
> -- Matthias

Yes, indeed, the spirit of what you state is correct. However, are you
really claiming that persons/students that can write programs are
mathematically blind? After all, programs are mathematical constructs (which
happen to execute) built by people. The building of programs requires some
mathematical understanding even if the writer does not realize it. Perhaps,
it is time to think of mathematics as programming. Now, that would be a cool
paradigm shift!

Marco