[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 3 16:46:04 EDT 2007

On 5/3/07, YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jay, this is quite interesting (sounds almost like black magic).  Are
> you using web cells to store the continuation marks that you can use to
> recreate the continuation?

Yes. But for different types of information I find parameters useful.

> What type of information do you lose (since you
> say the the continuation is coarse) in this case?

For example, if you click on a button to change the sort of the list
and the continuation is dead, then you get back the list without the
sort being changed. Similarly, if there was form data with the
request, it is ignored, as I do not capture what was meant to be done
with it.

> I meant to ask that are
> there types of continuations that shouldn't be reconstructed this way so the
> program functions correctly.

Any type of continuation capturable in the Pettyjohn paper would be
able to be captured like this, however, I had the constraint of
writing the capturing code by hand in the application, and I made a
pretty low threshold on the amount of pain I was willing to suffer.
The users don't complain. Much.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com>