[plt-scheme] debugger

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu May 3 16:40:13 EDT 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Gregory Cooper wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I think the short answer to all of these questions is "no".  As far as
> I know, neither the stepper nor the debug button offers a command-line
> interface.  The MzTake collection provides a notion of "scriptable
> debugging", which uses textual commands that you can enter at the
> interactive prompt, but the learning curve is probably pretty steep.
> In any case, I don't think there is a way to use any of these systems
> to attach to an external process.

There is a command-line "trace" utility, which is much less
interactive (i.e., just dumps trace on every procedure call), in case
you're interested.  In principle, however, there could easily be a
command-line version of the debugger.

The "attach to external process" is a horse of a very different
color; the current debugger is lightweight and portable precisely
because it depends on being able to annotate source code ahead of
time.  So for most definitions of "attach to running process," the
answer to this is: "no, and it can't easily be accomplished."

Hope this helps as well,

John