[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 3 15:43:14 EDT 2007

Thanks Shriram, I understand your point of tiered vs tierless, and agree
that the reality is not really that "single" after all.  I only have a
couple more questions:

> It is the same thing.  Given that you know what's going to be on the
> > client and what on the server, how do you produce each part?  For the
> > client, I recommend Flapjax.  For the server, we are working on this
> > RoR competitor.

RoR also includes the ajax stack, which scopewise equates to Flapjax.  Would
your RoR competitor encompass Flapjax in the future?  I suspect no since you
firmly distinguish between the two, but just want to confirm

> That's what "tierless" means.  You write a single program that gets
> > compiled into several different languages running in different places,
> > such as SQL on the db, Java on the server, JS on the client.  But in
> > practice this "single language" is not so single after all: you often
> > still have to annotate what lives where, you may have slightly
> > different APIs depending on location, and you often have to write the
> > db access code in a very stylized way so that the compiler to SQL can
> > produce good SQL code from it.

I suspect that you have better tricks in your sleeves than the above
approach for your RoR competitor... true/false?  Perhaps we will hear more
when you are further along on your project ;)

Thanks,
yinso