[plt-scheme] Swindle Tiny-CLOS examples..

From: Kyle Smith (airfoil at bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Mar 1 22:36:30 EST 2007

I've been working my way through Queinnec's, "Lisp In Small Pieces",
English Ed. 1996.  It's quite an impressive breadth of material that he
covers; eleven (11) interpreters and (2) compilers.  Some parts are
obviously dated, but there is a new French ed. out just this month, so
hopefully for those of us French impaired readers, they'll have an
English translation out in less than the two years it took them last go
around.

Anyway, not only are some of the concepts a bit out of touch with
current research, but the programs are written in a CLOS like system
called  Meroonet, with the last update in 1993.  There is a much more
robust version called Meroon that actually was ported to MzScheme v50
circa 1998.  Anyway, I pulled them both off the net to see if I could
easily port them to v360'ish MzScheme.  Unfortunately,  he  makes  heavy
use of  defmacro which makes it a nightmare to think about porting if I
can find an easier route.

That's when I remembered Swindle had a CLOS like Object system.  So I
spent the afternoon looking it over.  However, I didn't find any example
programs.  I learn best from a good example along with the documentation
to pick it apart.  Is it possible that someone has any example Swindle
OO files that make use of generic methods?   Queinnec makes use of
generics extensively.

In return for any example code that gets me off the ground at mimicking
Meroonet, I'll gladly post the port on PlaneT so others can use it when
working through the text.

Thanks,

--kyle

Kyle Smith