[plt-scheme] windows aborts Drscheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 20 17:02:50 EST 2007

At Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:56:35 +0100, "jos koot" wrote:
> Windows sometimes aborts DrScheme while running, particularly when I
> concurrently use other applications.

Does Drscheme crash once every day or two, or once every hour or two?

> I use DrScheme, version full 369.5-svn17jan2007, english (installed by
> full-369.5-bin-i386-win32.exe) with Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition,
> Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I run the program by opening the scm file and
> pressing the run button. I never saw this problem in previous versions of
> DrScheme.

The problem is almost certainly due to the switch from DrSchemeCGC to
DrScheme3m as "DrScheme.exe". That is, it's likely a bug in the way
that MzScheme/MrEd manages memory.

Your report is already useful, and any further help you can provide on
how to reproduce the crash would be much appreciated. Of course, a
sequence of steps that always crashes is always preferred, but we can
often make progress with other information. For example, if you only
run one program in DrScheme before it crashes, and if you can send me
the program, then that may help us narrow down the problem. If you know
it's enough to click "Run" a few times without editing, or if DrScheme
crashes without you ever clicking "Run", that's also a useful kind of
information.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.