[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 29 22:17:50 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Michael Vanier wrote:

> I've recently been working through the book "An Introduction to
> Lambda Calculi for Computer Scientists":
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Lambda-Calculi-Computer-
> Scientists/dp/0954300653/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0899652-5021466?
> ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188428868&sr=8-1
>
> It's a decent book.  Not without flaws, but it gets the job done.

I don't know Chris's book. I do know that lazy fp people tend to have
an abusively narrow view of the connection between CS and LC. So
study the source, Luke, is still a good thing.

> It's nowhere near as comprehensive as Barendregt, but it goes over
> the essentials in a reasonably short space.
>
> Also, I just noticed that Church's original monograph on lambda
> calculus is in print:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Calculi-Lambda-Conversion-Mathematics-Studies/
> dp/0691083940/ref=sr_1_2/103-0899652-5021466?
> ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188428868&sr=8-2

I read the original book (194x) during my dissertation time, I own it
of course, and I cannot recommend it for a computer scientist.

It's like studying physics from Newton's manuscript in the late
1800s. They had made progress and we need to acknowledge the man but
not that writing.

-- Matthias