[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 29 18:20:26 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 5:35 PM, Chris Stephenson wrote:

> What would your reading list be for the self study, apart from
> Barendregt?

When I present this piece of the puzzle in PhD seminars, I use
original literature as much as possible:

  Barendregt, The Lambda Calculus, North Holland
  chapters 2 and 3

  Plotkin, Call-by-name, call-by-value, and the lambda calculus
  Theoretical Computer Science, 1974

  Plotkin, PCF considered a programming language
  Theoretical Computer Science, 1978

Optionally, if you wish to hook up pure LC with effects:

  Felleisen and Friedman,  Control operators, the SECD-machine, and
the lambda-calculus.
  Formal Description of Programming Concepts III, North Holland, 1986

If you can wait, Robby is organizing a workshop and we intend to
produce a book from that. Not original literature but the first two
above explained for Comp Sci tists.

Alternatively, go to the NU PLT pubs site and download the monograph.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.