[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 16:37:52 EDT 2007

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> As a conservative person, I strongly believe in the responsibility of
> the individual. This includes
>
>  -- the student, but he's the least trained so the least to blame as
> long as he works hard
>  -- the teacher, who is a multiplier of 'thoughts' and 'training'  and
> thus has a large responsibility
>  -- the programmer, who, like a surgeon or car mechanic, is  ultimately
> responsible for the product
>  -- the manager, who has the responsibility to fit all pieces  together
> and think long-term

Is anyone familiar with studies of the proportion of working programmers
with a formal education in programming?  I see plenty of e.g. arts
majors in programming.  The part of the education system that teaches
computing can't be blamed (very much) for the behavior of those it
didn't have the opportunity to teach.

> So I reject the idea of blaming an anonymous 'system' instead of the
> participants.

Isn't "the system" just a way to talk about all those factors you
haven't yet isolated?  E.g. managers are often not rewarded, and may
even be punished, for thinking long-term.  To address that, we have to
drag shareholders, board directors, fiscal policy authors, politicians,
and voters into the equation, at least.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.