[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 27 15:33:41 EDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 5:12 AM, Jos Koot wrote:

> I don't think anyone or any particular isolated group is to blame

As a conservative person, I strongly believe in the responsibility of
the individual. This includes

  -- the student, but he's the least trained so the least to blame as
long as he works hard
  -- the teacher, who is a multiplier of 'thoughts' and 'training'
and thus has a large responsibility
  -- the programmer, who, like a surgeon or car mechanic, is
ultimately responsible for the product
  -- the manager, who has the responsibility to fit all pieces
together and think long-term

So I reject the idea of blaming an anonymous 'system' instead of the
participants. You may respond with 'how about the connectors' and I
will tell you that each person is responsible for some amount of
connectivity and the manager is responsible in principle.

On Aug 27, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Joe Wells wrote:
> I strongly recommend John
> Taylor Gatto's “The Underground History of American Education”
> (available online).  This is a detailed historical analysis of the
> system from its origins through roughly the 60s and 70s

Thanks Joe.

Again, as several times before, let me also recommend 'Let's Kill
Dick and Jane.' It also starts with a history and, based on other
readings, I suspect it tells a correct story.

;; ---

I do agree with Todd, however, in that highly intelligent women have
been lost to educational professions over the last 40 years due to
the opening up of other opportunities. This is not a judgment of the
fact as good or bad, but a realistic evaluation. The solution is not
to complain and to bemoan their exit -- and I doubt Todd was doing
this -- but to cope with the fact and train other people well.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.