[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Sun Aug 26 06:51:00 EDT 2007

On Aug 26, 2007, at 00:03, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> Any good code that was written was eventually replaced by mediocre/
> bad code simply because there were more bad programmers than good
> programmers.

I have a happy counterexample.  Once, while I was at BBN, I
implemented a spec to the letter and thought I was done.  To my
initial dismay, I later found my code had been completely rewritten
by a great programmer, Ray Tomlinson.  His code did what my code did,
but it ran much faster and was unusually clever.  Another programmer
said to me, "It's OK, Ray has rewritten my code too, and most of us
here can say that."  I wish there were more programmers like Ray.

Posted on the users mailing list.