[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Jon Rafkind (workmin at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 26 00:03:12 EDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Knauth wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2007, at 23:24, Richard Cleis wrote:
>> I fully admit that I work in an environment that is less
>> job-threatening than others.  Hopefully, that doesn't disqualify me
>> from asking: Do you work in your described scenario?  How many people
>> do you know of that do?
>
> I worked at a place where meeting deadlines was considered far more
> important than writing good code.  If the code was a mess but somehow
> things worked and delivery was on time, that was OK, especially since
> the code was likely to evolve or be discarded within a couple of years
> anyway.  To suggest that something should really take longer initially
> so that it could be done carefully did nothing to enhance one's
> career.  Copy/paste was encouraged.

I worked at a place that also valued deadlines but this was not the
reason for a lack of good code. Any good code that was written was
eventually replaced by mediocre/bad code simply because there were more
bad programmers than good programmers. When some of my co-workers became
aware of my eventual resignation they noted "jon, what are we going to
do with your code? its just going to disappear when you leave." So even
when I could take time to carefully plan some software I felt like it
wouldn't matter eventually..

Posted on the users mailing list.