[plt-scheme] unit-based servlet vs module-based servlet?

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 11 19:05:14 EDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Yin-So Chen <yinso.chen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really?!  Not being familiar with the history of PLT scheme I have to say I
> am surprised by the answer - I would have thought module is an older
> concept.  Sounds like you are saying unit is slowly fading away?

Oh, no! I wouldn't say that. It was just that, in the past, unit was
our top-level program structure, but we soon realized that units work
better as a general tool for constructing programs and we needed a
more first-order construct for just defining the top-level program
structure (in order to make compilation more tractable, etc).

I'm using "we" in the loosest possible sense here. It was Scott Owens
and Matthew Flatt who really nailed down the difference and explained
it properly. Probably they can point you to some writings or say more
about it.

> Can module based servlets be loaded/unloaded on demand like unit-based
> servlets?  And would badly written module servlet bring down the server?
> Unit servlets appear to handle the above fine, but if module servlet also
> works, then I am not sure if there are discernible differences (although
> there are still more unit-servlet examples in the doc).

I think these questions are all answered the same way, regardless of
whether or not you use a module servlet or a unit servlet.

I should probably defer to Jay, tho. There may be some issues I'm not
up to speed with in the web server.

Robby