[plt-scheme] complile-file and debugging

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 10 12:28:42 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, jos koot <jos.koot at telefonica.net> wrote:
> 3: Open a program I want to run, select the right language, turn debugging
> off if necessary and press the run button. In this program and my own zo
> files my own modules are required with
> (require (lib "compiled/file.zo" "my own collection")).

You don't want to do that. Instead, do this:

  (require (lib "file.ss" "my own collection"))

Require is smart enough to look int the compiled directory, and will
use the compiled file if it is there, and if it is newer than the .ss
file.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've got everything just right.

> One more remark about DrScheme's "cleverness" looking at the beginning
> of a file being opened and setting the language level based on it:
>
> File one.ss:
> (module one mzscheme)
> Selects language module, alright, very nice indeed, although it would even
> be nicer if the debugging and other detail option settings would not be
> affected (as far as possible, for different languages may have different
> sets of detail options)
>
> File one+two.scm:
> (module one mzscheme)
> (module two mzscheme (require module one))
> (require two)
> Selects language module too, which is not right. Correcting this would
> require DrScheme to look somewhat further than the beginning of the file.
> Perhaps you dont want to do that because it may significantly slow down
> opening the file.

That is not the behavior that I see. In my DrScheme, it leaves the
language setting along unless there is just a single module in the
file.

Can you try this experiment? Set your language to something other than
the module language. Open that file. Do you get the module language?

Perhaps there is some other state that affects your interactions
window drscheme that is missing from your explanation? That would be
helpful to me if you could figure out what it is, but the above
descriptoin doesn't seem to match what happens for me.

Chongkai: same for your earlier message. Can you provide some more
information that would help me understand what's happening?

Thanks,
Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.