[plt-scheme] web-server with a single servlet

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 7 05:25:04 EDT 2006

Dear all,

A question about configuring web-server (WS):

I would like to use WS in a slightly non-standard configuration: I
want a single servlet to respond to *all* requests to a particular
port on a machine. For example, if I'm running my server on localhost
port 8080, I want all requests to:

   http://localhost:8080
   http://localhost:8080/abc
   http://localhost:8080/def
   http://localhost:8080/ghi/jkl

and so on to go to the same servlet. I only have one servlet, and I'm
quite happy to serve static content by getting it to pipe files back
to the user.

After looking at the docs and source, I don't think WS can be
configured to behave in this way: from what I understand, the name of
the servlet file has to occur somewhere in the URL:

   http://localhost:8080/servlets/abc.ss

I don't want to do this because I want super-user-friendly URLs as
entry points. I've tried using Apache and mod_proxy to translate URLs
and forward requests to WS, but for various reasons (including
problems with large file uploads) this has turned out to be problematic.

Can anyone suggest a way of configuring WS in this way? Failing that,
I may be looking at creating a hacked version of WS for this project:
I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Many thanks,

-- Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.