[plt-scheme] Sound Card Access

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 2 04:11:39 EST 2006

Hi Elijah,

I thought this link was generally informative

http://sound.condorow.net/swss.html

SuperCollider isn't Scheme, but it certainly does do the kinds of things
you might be interested in:

http://www.audiosynth.com/

It is mature, and for some reason, I remember Scheme playing a part in
its development. Perhaps that was LISP, or perhaps I am wrong.

Lastly, I will point out Impromptu, which is a Scheme programming
environment for music, and is OSX only.

http://impromptu.moso.com.au/

I downloaded it, found it had a broken editor (compared to
DrScheme/emacs/vi), and it bound associations for .scm files that upset
me greatly. It is nowhere near as complete a language as PLT Scheme, and
therefore there are many things I'm accustomed to doing in Scheme that
become difficult in Impromptu.

Jon Rafkind wrote:
> Another library is my allegro.plt planet package. It is a high level
> library that deals with graphics, input, and sound but you can use it
> just for sound if you wish.

Given infinite time, I'd reimplement Impromptu in PLT Scheme/DrScheme
using tools like Jon's library... the FrTime/FRP/behavioral stuffs could
provide a really nice interface into these kinds of "live coding/live
music" systems...

Cheers,