[plt-scheme] xxx chooses MzScheme as preferred language

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 30 09:53:28 EDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 6:40 PM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> - unless we could compile all the stuff and make it quick, the stuff
> would be slow, still that would not make users away (see Gentoo and
> python);

Are you sure that the scripts in Python are faster than equivalent
scripts in MzScheme?

> - since we do not yet have nice, complete bindings to Qt or GTK2, or
> to current Wxwindows for that matter, any GUI might be ugly;

True. But does Haskell have bindings to the current wxWindows library?
Are they as powerful as MzScheme's?

> - probably not many contributors. Scheme community seems small with
> sparse efforts. Don't know haskell community at all, but hope they get
> to something.

The Haskell community is smaller but contains a lot of academics that
writes lots of papers that get published because due to their
proportion of researchers have more representation on PCs. So they
appear to be large. And they were lucky enough to have someone write a
Perl interpreter in Haskell.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.