[plt-scheme] conventional syntax (was: Scheme contradictions)

From: Erich Rast (erich at snafu.de)
Date: Mon May 8 04:11:28 EDT 2006

>>  If a block syntax
>> is used, it should be as conventional as possible.
>
> Yes.
>
>> In my personal opinion, the
>> only sane choices would be Python syntax or VB/RB-style implicit block
>> syntax (with an end statement).
>
> Your definition of "conventional" surprises me. In a world dominated by
> C, C++, Java, C#, and Javascript, I think "conventional" means curly
> braces and semi-colons.

Well, I have to admit that in this definition of "conventional" my
personal preferences have sneaked in. I agree that if you take it to
mean simply what the majority uses and is accustomed to, then it has to
be C/Java-style syntax. Anyway, honu looks very interesting.

I still wonder about my other suggestion, why nobody has developed a
platform and language independent algorithm & datastructure source code
interchange language yet. It would be XML-based and organized in
layers. Just basic datastructures and 3 or 4 conventional control
constructs at the core, then a layer of standard I/O, unicode, network
functions, more elaborate primitive datastructures, possibly some GUI
layers, and so on. The key is to keep the core language extremely
simple and generic. Developers of specific languages could choose to
implement one or many of these layers, and by  optionally restricting
the language to be compatible to some interchange language layer it
would become feasible to write algorithms in your favorite language and
then let them be translated automatically into the interchange
language/library format.

Well, it's just an idea. Anybody who has experience with open source
projects and wants to start some, please let me know off the list and
I'll be in.

Best regards,

Erich

Posted on the users mailing list.