[plt-scheme] 3rd-8th Grade

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 12:29:33 EST 2006

> In short, I'm not understanding people think Visual Programming is so
> special. You're switching from pictures that are words/punctuation to
> pictures that are not words/punctuation, and your input method
> switches from mostly-keyboard-with-some-optional-mousing to
> mostly-mousing-with-some-optional-keyboard. What's the big deal?

I think the big deal is related to what seems (is?) unattainable.  In
the email example, an infinite palate of thoughts would be useful.
That way, we could select icons for moods, intensity of argument, and
(if those aren't difficult enough) relevant content.  The bother of
sentence construction is eliminated and the world's language barriers
disappear. Sweet!

The issue of learning is even more difficult: we want the children to
select icons that trick them into learning how to think, based on tasks
presented in words... which, to understand the task, they must form
into the same concepts represented by unattainable icons.

rac