[plt-scheme] 3rd-8th Grade

From: Adam Wick (awick at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 20 11:27:39 EST 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Richard Cleis wrote:
> It is not clear to me what causes reasoning to occur and develop
> (pictures vs words vs ?) ...

Written words are pictures. They're just pictures that are very easy
to describe, that people have a long personal history of ascribing
very specific semantics to, and that people are used to combining in
interesting ways.

Towards the main discussion, I suppose I could've used a Visual Email
program to write this email. First, I would've dragged what I wanted
from a panel of sentence structures. Then I'd go to my verb panel and
dragged over the verbs I would've used, and then opened up the verb
properties window to select the tense, voice and number. Then I'd
start hooking in the noun phrases similarly. Sending would just
involve compiling the structure down to ASCII, Unicode or some
picture format.

Such a system would probably help my spelling and grammar, but I just
find it simpler to type it in.

In short, I'm not understanding people think Visual Programming is so
special. You're switching from pictures that are words/punctuation to
pictures that are not words/punctuation, and your input method
switches from mostly-keyboard-with-some-optional-mousing to mostly-
mousing-with-some-optional-keyboard. What's the big deal?

-Adam

Posted on the users mailing list.