[plt-scheme] Languages: Reloaded

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 18 18:04:12 EDT 2006

That did the trick. I suspect my explorations down the tool-based route
were because I started with EoPL, and never looked back.

I'll have to go back and re-read the relevant documentation, as it seems
I'm now at a different point in the expansion tower. For example, I no
longer define the reader, and my 'raise-syntax-error's don't interact
with the definitions window in the same way.

Many thanks again, and I'll keep poking around.

Cheers,

Robby Findler wrote:
> At Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:02:47 +0100, Matt Jadud wrote:

> EoPL's language isn't a module-based language (in the sense of the
> title of 2.1.1 in the drscheme tool documentation). If your language
> doesn't need to do what EoPL's does (the comment in the file says that
> it needs an extra with-handlers wrapper) then I think you'll want to
> actually go with a module-based language, without using a tool% object.
> Its a much easier interface to deal with (I put example files at the
> end of this file -- there's less stuff there than required for EoPL).
>
> If you do that, you'll find that changes to the module that defines the
> language will be picked up by just re-running.
>
> In general, a new namespace is created when Run is created, meaning
> that anything loaded into it is going to be re-loaded from disk
> (assuming that the .zo files are either missing or up to date).
>
> hth,
> Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.