[plt-scheme] only 2 simple questions

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 17:41:19 EST 2006

> Am I just dreaming if I think industry usage of Scheme is restricted
> more by lack of awareness rather than lack of practical applications?
> (where "awareness" includes exposure, education, experience, etc.)

I don't know. I like scheme a lot. However, most of my colleagues don't
understand
this language and its power of expression. They already have much
trouble with C,
perl, C# or Java.  I personally think the language doesn't really
matter, although the
paradigm may do.

I'm now using scheme about 1.5 years and it has consequences for my
programming
style. I'm programming in a completely different style in e.g. perl. I'd
say much more
beautiful (compactness, functional approach, etc.).  In scheme I've been
able to program
almost without faults, where in other languages I'm making more
syntactic errors.

I noticed however, that these same colleagues don't understand my e.g.
perl programs
anymore, because they have become much more abstract. And this may be
pointing
in the direction to the reason why scheme and lisp are not used much for
"industry
applications".

On the other hand, with semantic web evolving, maybe things could turn a
bit?

--Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema

Posted on the users mailing list.