[plt-scheme] Announce: SQLI/SQLD PLaneT package

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Fri Jan 6 15:07:18 EST 2006

Matt Jadud schreef:

> Well, I know I currently have no needs for Oracle or DB2, and might
> not even want the Psql/MySQL driver, either. Therefore, if I were to
> download this package to my Powerbook (only wanting to use SQLite),
> and the install dies/fails on one of the other packages... where does
> that leave me? Do I have to/want to resolve that problem? Or, would be
> it better for me to only download the drivers I need?

Good point, however, on Linux (which I consider equivalent to MacOSX (I
even have a slow iMac to try it on)),
the process of compiling won't let the install die, because the
installer checks if libraries are there and just reports
that a driver is not installed. On Windows, it is different however. I'm
supplying the driver dll's pre-compiled on Windows,
because on this platform it is less likely that there's a compiler (MSVC).

I'm now thinking an other way. I think it may be a good thing to supply
a stub dll on windows for the vendor stuff.
As I put the path to the collection library at the end of the current
PATH environment variable, there will probably
be a good chance that the vendor dll is earlier in the path.

--Hans

Posted on the users mailing list.