[plt-scheme] Symbolic links for OS X - a suggestion

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 21:39:27 EST 2006

This is just a suggestion. When I install PLT Scheme (at least the
pre-release versions), the command line tools end up in a somewhat
inconvenient directory (from the point of view of using the terminal
window/shell)

~:$ cd /Applications/PLT\ Scheme\ v369.1/bin
/Applications/PLT Scheme v369.1/bin:$ ls mzc
mzc

Of course, I can create a symbolic link to something like /usr/plt/
bin, and maybe this happens for released versions, and perhaps this
already happens (I think it is the default for Ubuntu).  A secondary
issue is that managing these links "by hand" can be awkward when
there are many pre-lease versions. Would it be possible to have the
installer create an updated link to something like /usr/plt-prelease
that could conveniently be included in PATH?

Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"Those who are enamored of practice
without theory are like a pilot who goes
into a ship without rudder or compass."
--Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)