[plt-scheme] In search of Linux compatable with DrScheme

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Sun Dec 10 13:39:33 EST 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 09:48, Kyle Smith wrote:
> I'm going to be purchasing  a workstation dedicated to running a
> *nix flavor.  When I checked last
> there were not too many options for *nix that were listed as
> compatible.  I'm soliciting comments
> from my fellow PLT list readers on  their own experiences with *nix
> installations and DrScheme.

My current favorite distribution is Ubuntu.  I got fed up with the
time it took me to keep RedHat flavors up to date (even using the
nice tools they have), and I felt pulled over to the Debian tree.
PLT runs fine.  The system is an AMD64 with 2GB RAM and gobs of HD.
I got it to do lots of matrix calculations with Octave, and it
flies.  If I had to do it again, I'd go dual-core, or quad-core.
Maybe I'd go Opteron, maybe I'd try another AMD.  I like their we-try-
harder Avis approach.

==> Since 1995 every PC I've had has been *nix-capable, and PLT-
capable too.  <==

Currently my favorite machines are running, in order of fewest to
most problems, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, FC5, WinXP (kids'
games and taxes).  If you buy whiz-bang latest gadgets, there's
sometimes a temporary issue around drivers, but that always seems to
sort itself out.  Buying a new machine seems to revolve around the
question, "What kind of performance am I looking for?"  The last time
I really had to think hard about compatibility was when Vista came
out, when I realized running it would require buying new machines
(cough).  I love my Mac G4 Powerbook and plan to upgrade to a MacBook
Pro.

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk