[plt-scheme] PlaneT, plts and distributing software.

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 09:17:31 EDT 2005

--- Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> wrote:

> I know that, but I do not want to do that, I don't want
> drscheme to download
> anything, I want to download them myself and install it.

That's easy.  PLT Scheme comes with a tool called mzscheme
that you can use for downloading files from Planet.  Run it
and type in the line:

  (require (planet "test.ss" ("schematics" "schemeunit.plt"
1 1)))

This will download the .plt, extract it, and leave it in a
directory under ~/.plt-scheme/planet, in this case the
directory

~/.plt-scheme/planet/300/cache/schematics/schemeunit.plt/1/1/

You can then copy it to wherever you desire.

> Furthermore, I want to read the source code.

The source is in the directory the mzscheme tool creates.

> Furthermore, I want to package it as a .deb or .ebuild or
> I won't put it on my servers.

Go for it.

Seriously, it is a bit farcical to not use the tools
provided (and hence my farcical response).  Planet and
.plts works across more platforms that PLT targets than
Debian or Portage does (and in particular on Windows).  You
can't seriously expect PLT to distribute their packages
using, say, the Debian system.  If you have a need to use
Debian or Portage I'm sure you can find a way to integrate
Planet with either (perhaps by writing a custom Planet
server), but I don't think you should use that as a reason
to not use Planet or .plts

Cheers,
Noel

AIM: noelhwelsh