[plt-scheme] generics / modules

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 21 10:49:57 EDT 2005

I've encountered the same problem.

My first approach was to make a `generics' module that simply defined
every generic function and have all the other modules include it.  It was an
ok stopgap measure, but it obviously doesn't scale.

My second approach was to factor the code such that all methods to a
generic function could be defined within a single module (which exports
the generic).  This, too, has obvious problems, but it turned out to work
ok in practice.

I think for `small' generic functions, that is, ones with one or two methods,
that the second approach is appropriate.  I like the `interface' idea for the
generic functions that have lots of methods.

I don't know of a canonical solution.

~jrm